Routine, comprehensive dental exams are important to maintaining healthy teeth and gums. Additionally, they can help to avoid the financial costs associated with large treatment plans later on. The Academy of General Dentistry recommends twice yearly checkups for people of all ages. At this frequency, most problems can be caught while they remain in an early stage.
How it’s done
The dentist first examines your mouth visually, using dental equipment such as mouth mirrors, assorted dental tools, and high intensity lights. They will look for cracked and decayed teeth, as well as review other important items such as:
- Medical history: The dentist will assess how any new medical conditions or illnesses may affect your dental health.
- Examination of tooth decay: Your mouth will be checked for cracked or decayed teeth.
- Oral cancer screening: The face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums will be checked for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Your gums and bone around the teeth will be checked for any evidence of periodontal disease.
- Examination of existing restorations: Current fillings, crowns, and other restorations are made sure to be in good order.
Additionally, your dentist will take diagnostic x-rays to reveal any other hidden problems, especially in the areas below the gums. Bitewing x-rays are typically taken every 12 months and a panographic x-ray, which revolves around the head, is taken every 3-5 years.
Our office has been in operation for over forty years and our highly personable team is knowledgeable and skilled in most aspects of dentistry. We stay current with the innovations in our field and we offer a wide array of the latest dental treatments to our patients. Dr. Syed has an MAGD award from the Academy of General Dentistry in recognition of his leadership and pursuit of continuing education.
5507 Kirkwood Highway
Wilmington, DE 19808
Mon: 8:00AM – 5:00PM
Tue: 8:00AM – 5:00PM
Wed: 8:00AM – 5:00PM
Thu: 8:00AM – 5:00PM
Fri: 9:00AM – 1:00PM