Protect Your Smile from Becoming Too Spooky with Our Wilmington Family Dentist
With Halloween quickly approaching, it is important to remember your dental care routine so that your smile stays healthy this spooky season! Sugar can be bad for your teeth, so maintaining a healthy routine is essential to combat all that Halloween candy. Read below for some helpful tips to keep your smile healthy and bright all Halloween long!
Be Mindful of Types of Candy
One of the first ways to protect your dental and oral health is to know which types of candies would be more harmful to your teeth. This can give you the opportunity to choose between candy and find the least harmful option for your teeth and gums.
The Most Harmful Candy:
- Hard candy – candy that is hard and difficult to chew can lead to tooth breakage. Sucking on hard candy also requires people to keep sugar in their mouth for a longer duration of time. It is best to avoid hard candies as much as possible.
- Gummy Candy – caramel, taffy, and gummies are bad for your teeth because they are sticky and can stay stuck to teeth for hours. Anything chewy that can attach to the crevices of your teeth can lead to the deterioration of the enamel.
- Sour Candy – Sour candies are typically chewy and can get stuck between teeth. This type of candy is also highly acidic and contains a lot of sugar, so they often do twice as much damage as other candies.
The Least Harmful Candy:
- Chocolate – Not only is chocolate the least harmful candy, but some types of chocolate actually contain extra benefits for your smile! Chocolate melts away instead of sticking to the surface of your teeth. That means there is less of a chance that dental decay will occur and the chocolate can easily be washed away by saliva.
- Sugar-free gum – Some low-calorie sweeteners in sugar-free gum can help rid your mouth of harmful bacteria. This can also help promote saliva which will help keep your teeth clean until you can brush them later on. It should be noted that sugar-free gum is not a suitable replacement for quality dental care. Be sure that teeth are still properly brushed and flossed at the end of the day before going to bed.
End Your Day With Dental Care
It is so important not to skip your regular dental care routine, especially on Halloween after eating all those treats! Before going to bed, be sure to brush, floss, and rinse with mouthwash to rid your mouth of any harmful bacteria. Don’t forget to scrub your tongue as well, which can be coated with a film of plaque after a day of snacking. Don’t sacrifice your healthy smile this Halloween season!
Of course, everything can be enjoyed in moderation, but it is important to keep your dental health in check. Always brush your teeth after consuming Halloween candy and floss to avoid any lingering food debris. Use fluoride toothpaste to help shield your enamel from future bacteria and always try to balance your diet with healthy fruits and veggies. Ask our Wilmington family dentist for more information on how you can maintain your oral health this Halloween!